Radiology Imaging Associates Maryland
Radiology Imaging Associates, RIA was founded in 1977, by Joseph P. Finizio, M.D., and grew from its origins as the first radiology service provider at Southern Maryland Hospital Center, to an expanding Practice of over 200 physicians, technologists and staff supporting five full-service outpatient imaging centers throughout southern Maryland and northern Virginia. RIA takes pride in having established comprehensive imaging services in what were previously viewed as the remote suburbs.
What We're Doing Today
Today, we are recognized as the original, anchor radiology provider in these communities, and known for having been the first to introduce many state-of the art technologies and services. RIA is committed to advancing the accuracy and efficiency of patient diagnosis with the full range of outpatient diagnostic, interventional and special procedures. We continue to grow, and make investments in technology to support local physicians and to benefit the health of patients in our communities.
- RIA’s first outpatient facility, The Breast Center, in Clinton, Maryland, introduced Mammography and Bone Densitometry in the comfort of a facility dedicated entirely to women in December 1982; it was the 24th dedicated Breast Center in the United States.
- RIA established the first full-service outpatient imaging centers in Clinton, MD in 1985, Waldorf, MD in 1988 and Prince Frederick, MD in 1996. These centers introduced MRI, CT, nuclear medicine, mammography, DEXA, 4-D Ultrasound and non-invasive vascular testing.
- The Sterling center was the first in April 1988, and remains the only truly full-service comprehensive outpatient imaging service provider in Loudoun County, Virginia.
- Chesapeake P.E.T. Center was added in 2003, and PET/CT two years later.
Comprehensive services in our centers include CT, MRI (traditional high field strength and high-field open magnets), PET / CT, Nuclear Medicine with SPECT Imaging, Medical Diagnostic Ultrasound including 4-D and Color Flow Doppler, Noninvasive Vascular Sonography, and Radiography, Tomography & Fluoroscopy.
RIA continues to respond to the changing demands of radiology with the implementation of paperless and film less PACS environments integrated with referring providers to enhance workflow and patient care.
Accreditation and Awards
Radiology Imaging Associates has been awarded accreditation by the American College of Radiology (ACR) for its MRI, CT, PET, Ultrasound and stereotactic breast biopsy programs, and has received designation by the ACR for its Breast Imaging Centers of Excellence. Radiology Imaging Associates is pleased to have received these acknowledgements in recognition of the programs we provide for the community. The ACR gold seal of accreditation recognizes the highest level of image quality and patient safety. It is awarded only to facilities meeting ACR Practice Guidelines and Technical Standards after a peer-review evaluation by board-certified physicians and medical physicists who are experts in the field. Image quality, personnel qualifications, adequacy of facility equipment, quality control procedures, and quality assurance programs are assessed. RIA has similarly received accreditation of its Nuclear Medicine programs through the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission.
Our Specialty in Women's Health Imaging
RIA further sets itself apart by making women’s health paramount. In addition to digital mammography, our Women’s Centers have the following capabilities:
- DEXA Bone Density Testing
- Obstetrical and Gynecological Ultrasound
- Nuchal Translucency sonography
- Breast MRI
- Stereotactic, sonography and MRI guided biopsy
Our Specialty in Men's Health and Imaging
RIA has also created a comprehensive program to meet the needs of male patients. All multi-modality centers offer the latest, state-of-the-art imaging equipment to provide a full range of men’s diagnostic services including scrotal sonography and endorectal prostate sonography and biopsy.
In This Section
- About Us
- Patient Experiences
- Our Radiologists